Gaeilge24 - Craic agus Spraoi!

Ar an tríú lá déag de mhí Samhain…. No, I'm kidding! Of course I won't write in Irish. Maybe cúpla focal here and there though!

On November the 13th, Gaeilge 24 took place all over the country.  This is a challenge that requires students and teachers to speak Irish for a whole twenty four hours. Now, many of us were a little apprehensive about the challenge, because speaking Irish outside of Irish class for twenty four hours? No thanks!

Well… I decided to throw myself right in and do it, because why not? I didn’t think it would be that bad. We got t-shirts that said ‘Labhair Gaeilge Liom Inniu’ which means “Speak Irish to me Today”. We also got a wristband and a little booklet with phrases for the day.

To be completely honest,  I didn't think I'd be able to speak fluent Irish for the day, but it turned out to be a lot easier than expected! It seemed to come naturally to me and everyone else who participated, which was brilliant to hear! I suppose speaking Irish all day showed that it's an easy thing to do, and that we should try and add Irish into our daily lives.

After completing my 24 hours, I was still thinking “as Gaeilge”, and even speaking Irish to my parents! I hope to continue using the Irish language in my daily life,  because it's our culture and heritage and we need to keep Irish relevant to today's generation!

Maybe you could try and add cúpla focal in conversation with people, say slán instead of see you later,  and dia duit, instead of hi, because it's your language,  and your heritage,  and what makes our little island unique! As it says on my lovely wristband - “an Gaeilge, is leatsa í!”

Shauna Carroll 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EU Contest for Young Scientist

Young Scientist Entrants 2021